This is a lengthy story that may not be of interested to anyone else, but I wanted to write it down, so that I will have it recorded for my family.
At the end of December, Jason got a great idea that if we sold our house, we would lose a little bit on it because of the market. However, we would be able to go buy one on the east side of the valley for $50,000-$100,000 less because of the market. Therefore, we would be saving money. I have talked about wanting to live on the east side of the valley since we were dating for various reasons. First, that is where I grew up; second, that is where I work; third, my parents live on the East side of the valley and I am at their house 4-5 times a week; and last, I think the school environment is better. So Jason blames wanting to move on me, yet he doesn't like split entry houses and was only planning on living in our house for 5 years. He has been there for 7 years, so I think he was ready for a change. When we first started talking about the idea, I explained that I didn't think that our timing was very good. I knew that it would take a couple of months to get the house ready to sell and then I was having a baby at the end of March. After I had Colton, my house was a disaster zone (My sister-in-law Debbie can attest to that...I look back and feel bad that she had to watch Colton is such a mess). I knew there was no way I could keep the house clean once the baby came. But Jason had an idea and was doing it because of me, so I had to be supportive. We met with a realtor and realized that we would need to sell our house for $175,000 which was at the higher end of what houses comparable to ours were going for. Yet we decided to try to sell it and hope someone would pay that much. We dejunked the house and got it ready to sell and then we would see how it went once the baby came. We got Jason's dad's redneck trailer and loaded it with anything we didn't think that we needed, I dejunked and reboxed my junk room. It took longer than we had hoped to get our house ready. Yet, by the time we were done it was a really nice looking house. It was ready on March 3rd. We signed the papers with our realtor and he put it on the market March 4th. I still thought that we were crazy. I didn't think that it would sell for what we needed it to sell for and I didn't know how I would keep the house clean. I am not very good at receiving revelation, but I believe if I am trying to live my life the way Heavenly Father would want me to then he would guide the path that it should go. So from here it was in his hands. Our realtor is also an appraiser. He appraised our house in the 180,000's, so we decided to put it up for 188,900. Definitely at the high end of what it was worth. This stressed Jason out. After a week, he wanted to lower it. I told him we should wait two weeks at least. We managed to do a pretty good job keeping the house clean. I was only late a couple of times. It is amazing how much time it takes to straighten things up. We had 4 people walk through our house. On March 13th, our realtor called and said that the last one had given us an offer for our asking price, but we had to be out by March 30th. Was this even possible? I never expected someone to offer the whole amount, but be out by March 30th...I was going to be induced on March 22nd. So we called our families and asked if they would be available to help us move the next 2 weekends. They said that they would. We met with our realtor at 10:00 pm to sign the contract. They had until Friday to get their financing taken care of. I didn't want to pack much until I knew that their financing was a go. We looked at houses Monday and Wednesday nights and all day on Friday. Our families came on Saturday, March 20th and helped us pack up the house and move. We moved the things that we needed to my parent's house and anything we didn't need to a storage unit. I was exhausted by the end of the day and could barely move. We went to our ward for the last time on Sunday. I will miss my ward. They are like family. It made me sad that Colton won't have his friends to play with in nursery. I would be in trouble if he was 5 years old or older and we were moving and he really had close friends. I told ward members that I felt like this was what Heavenly Father had planned for us since I didn't think that it would sell and it sold in 9 days for what we asked for. Later on Sunday, we tried to clean up my parent's house a little bit, organize things and we set up the baby things. We went to the hospital early Monday morning, so I could be induced. I had our baby by lunch time as the nurse had promised. See the next post. That afternoon, Jason e-mailed our realtor to ask him to put an offer in on a short sale that we had looked at on Friday. Short sales normally take 2 months to a year to find out if you will get them. We expected to find something else before we found out about whether we had got the short sale. However, we didn't think it hurt to put an offer in, in case we hadn't found something else by that time. Our realtor called us Monday evening and said that the long process of a short sale had already been gone through and that the bank was asking for everyone's last and final offers. They would be submitted on Wednesday morning and we should know if it was accepted in about a weeks period of time. So, our realtor came to the hospital so we could sign the paperwork to submit the offer. I asked him how many times he had done paperwork in the hospital with clients. He said only once before. So we will now wait a week or so and see. It is a nice house for the price. I don't think it is the perfect house. So I think we would be happy if we got it, but just fine if we don't. Now we are home from the hospital. Jason will have to spend the next 5 days packing the last things at the house and taking them to the storage shed, fixing a couple of holes on the wall, and cleaning the house. Hopefully it will be ready be the 30th when we close. I'll have to update this post later on.
In addition, last week, I found out that my classroom (which I love and is why I wanted to go into special education - it has been my dream job) will be done away with next year. I don't think the district is making a good choice for the students that I serve. But what I think doesn't matter to them. They think that they know what is best even though they have never seen my classroom, students or talked to me about the choice they were having to make. But they have the authority so they are going to use it. I've felt like my importance to the district is non-existent. Anyways, I could go on and on; but I won't. The point is I am nervous to teach in a different type of classroom next year and learn something new.
As you can see March 2010 will never be forgotten because everything in my life changed in a matter of days!
3 years ago

My goodness Chelsea! So many things have changed! I can't believe you had the energy to sell your house, move, look for a new house, and have a baby! You are SUPER WOMAN! Well, it sounds like these are all good changes, I'm happy for you,
ReplyDeletelove,
Kjersti